so my father is also diabetic. he has been for well over twenty years- but in the last, oh, five or so years- his blood sugars have gotten a little uncontrollable. after going back and forth with several of his GPs, the newest one really wanted him to go and see an endocrine doctor – so that’s how i spent the bulk of my yesterday.
i really liked the doctor. as a fat girl, it’s been my experience that a lot of doctors have little to no patience for obese patients. they figure we’re on our way to “killing” ourselves, so why should they bother – but this doctor was different. while he wasn’t sweet talking or sugar-coating things, he wasn’t writing anyone any sort of ultimatums.
anyway- he gave my dad a list of foods he should stop eating, foods he needs to moderate and just a few general hints. so i’m going to share them with you.
STOP EATING THESE THINGS
you should see all kinds of red lights when you see these foods. and it’s not going to be easy.
1. Soda Pop. not the diet stuff – even dr ruestow said that while it’s not the best, it’s the full sugar stuff that’ll kill you. while i’m trying not to drink soda in general… man sometimes you just need the taste of an awesome diet dr pepper.
2. Fruit Juice. think about it. if you’ve ever squeezed your own juice, you know that it’s like 2389847318726 oranges (or, you know, 6 or 7) to get enough juice to make it useful. just think about how many oranges are in that glass of juice. then just eat the orange.
3. Sweets. its the no-brainer, we know sweets are bad. but so tasty. so. so. tasty. /digress
4. Bagels & Muffins. they’re good. they even look healthy. but they lie. they’re so dense packed full of carby goodness… you should just avoid them.
5. Chips (of all kinds, including pretzels). once you start, you can’t stop. so you probably shouldn’t.
6. Popcorn. now this one is hard for me. i LOVE popcorn. i could eat it every day, for every meal. but… it’s all carbs. so it’s probably a bad idea.
7. Pizza. one slice of pizza has something like 750 calories. and when was the last time you ate ONE slice of pizza. [if you’re me, it’s a half pizza, easy]
YELLOW LIGHT FOODS
one with each meal. yes, just one. yes, i know that sounds ridiculous but trust me.
Bread. Rice. Potatoes. Pasta. Cereal. Oatmeal.
a portion of bread is one slice. this is heartbreaking to me, because i love bread. we’re eastern european- what the hell did you expect. bread is a staple. but… alas, my love affair with baguettes and goat cheese in mass quantities on the regular has to come to an end.
for cereal and oatmeal – just read the box. they’re not kidding when they tell you what a portion is.
potatoes, rice, pasta – the portion should be no bigger than your fist. here is where i wish i was the hulk.
eat them. be mindful, but eat them. stick to fresh fruit (NOT DRIED) and nuts (NOT SALTED).